Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Gyan of the day - Spicy food and Water

Yesterday Paulina and Michael cooked food for us as a token of thanks for couch surfing. Michael prepared some salsa and asked me to taste it. As an Indian who eats more spicy food I asked him add some more chili sauce to it. We sat for dinner and I loved the salsa. But others who were on table were very uncomfortable with the amount of spiciness in salsa. After sometime I was asked as what would I do if I feel spicy. We spoke about options like taking sugar or having some sweet etc. Later I got a doubt as why does water not calm the tongue after eating hot spicy food? I have searched online and got the below answer:

The spices in most of the hot foods that we eat are oily, and, like your elementary school science teacher taught you, oil and water don't mix. In this case, the water just rolls over the oily spices. Water would in fact spread oil around. What can you do to calm your aching tongue? Eat bread. The bread will absorb the oily spices. A second solution is to drink milk. Milk contains a substance called "casein" which will bind to the spices and carry them away. Milk will only help briefly as it cannot strip the oil completely. Alcohol also dissolves oily spices.

0 comments: