Tuesday, April 08, 2008

No Honking Day

When I first came to Singapore I was surprised to see that people here hardly use horn on the road. The main reason behind this is the systematic trafic rules that everybody abides by. Most of the Singaporeans use the public transport in order to reduce the congestion in the traffic and reduce pollution. I always hoped to see India the same way.

Today I have seen an article in Rediff which says that, yesterday on the occasion of World Health Day Mumbai Traffic police has initiated this No Honking Day. There were some specific regions which were called as no honking zones which would include, schools, hospitals and courts. Though I heard it wasnt a success. Police has fined people who have actually honked in these zones. You just cant change things in a day. I hope this would increase the awareness among the people and going forward this would become a practice in India too.

0 comments: